Hi, fellow foodies! Since I realised it has been a crazy long time I did a food post, I am sharing this super yummy and satisfying Indian dessert with you all today. It is Sabudana Kheer aka Tapioca Pudding!
Kheer is an Indian/Asian/Middle-Eastern dessert. It is basically made of four ingredients: milk, rice/tapioca/vermicelli, sugar and dry fruits. It is usually part of a festive, fasting, Indian meal, especially during Navratri. As the month of Shravan has started, this recipe comes just in time.
Let's get started with the recipe yield of 4-5 servings.
Ingredients for Sabudana Kheer:
Prep. time: 1 h | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 1 hour 20 min
- 5 cups milk
- 1/2 cup tapioca pearls
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4-5 green cardamoms, crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 5-6 slivered almonds
- 5-6 slivered pistachios
- 4-5 saffron threads
Method for Sabudana Kheer:
- Wash and soak tapioca pearls in ~1 cup water for ~1 hour.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring the milk to a boil over medium heat.
- Discard any water from the tapioca pearls.
- Once the milk starts to boil and thickens a little, add the soaked tapioca pearls and lower the heat. Keep stirring so that it doesn't stick to the pan.
- Once the tapioca pearls are fully cooked, and milk has thickened to your desired consistency, add sugar, crushed green cardamoms, almonds, and pistachios (save some for garnishing later).
- Mix well and turn off the heat after ~2 minutes, while stirring constantly.
- Pour the kheer in a large bowl, garnish with saffron threads and the remaining almonds and pistachios.
- Serve hot or cold after refrigerating for 3-4 hours.
Note: You can adjust the thickness by using less or more milk. Also, you can add a pinch of saffron while boiling the milk to give it a more yellowish colour. I like adding it just as a garnish which gives beautiful patches of saffron colour.
I love the rich and creamy texture of Sabudana Kheer and the fact that it's super easy. I like it more as a cold dessert than hot. 🙂
Like Sabudana but not desserts? Check this savoury Sabudana recipe! 🙂
Have you tried this Sabudana Kheer recipe before? How do you like it? If you haven't I hope you give it a try now and share your views in the comment section with me.
Have a great day, everyone!
Thanks for stopping by and reading!